Local
articles | 08 May 2020

Coronavirus: six new cases announced on Thursday

The health ministry announced six new coronavirus cases on Thursday, identified from 1,774 tests.

The total number of confirmed infections in the government-controlled areas rose to 889.

Announcing the new cases, virologist and member of the health ministry’s advisory team Dr Leontios Kostrikis said three of the new cases were identified through 166 tests while tracing contacts of already confirmed cases.

One new case was identified from tests in state hospital labs while two cases identified from 33 tests from private initiative.

Scientific director at the health services organisation (Okypy) Dr Marios Loizou said that as of 3pm on Thursday, nine patients were hospitalised in the Famagusta refence hospital including one in the intensive care unit (ICU). The condition of the patients is said to be stable.

Four patients were released after they tested negative.

There are five Covid-19 patients intubated in other hospitals. One in Limassol and four in Nicosia. Their condition is critical but stable, Loizou said.

Five more confirmed cases are being treated in other hospitals.

Meanwhile, the last coronavirus patient in the north was discharged on Thursday from Nicosia hospital, leaving no active cases of the virus.

The amount of confirmed Covid-19 cases in the north remained stable at 108 since April 20 despite the increased testing.

According to the relevant authorities, the hospital unit designated to treat coronavirus patients is now empty but will remain as part of the special scheme solely to treat Covid-19 patients.

The last cases of the virus in north were recorded on April 17. Since then, diagnostic tests have been greatly increased, with rapid tests and PCR, but no cases have been identified.

‘Health minister’ Ali Pilli said the PCR results of 21 people who tested positive during rapid testing on Wednesday and 34 people whose rapid tests were also positive on Thursday are still expected.

Government spokesperson Kyriacos Kousios had told the Cyprus Mail on Wednesday the state is willing to allow Turkish Cypriots to cross to the south for work. All the crossings have been closed in mid-March after the pandemic outbreak on the island.

Source: Cyprus Mail

Tags

Cooperation Partners
  • Logo for Invest Cyprus
  • Logo for Cyprus Shipping Chamber
  • Logo for Cyprus In Your Heart
  • Logo for Association of Cyprus Banks
  • Logo for Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry
  • Logo for Ministry of Energy, Commerce, Industry and Tourism
  • Logo for CFA Cyprus
  • Logo for Cyprus Investment Funds Association
  • Logo for Cyprus International Businesses Association