Choosing Cyprus as the next filming destination offers an array of opportunities and a comprehensive package of benefits:
• The Cyprus Filming Scheme: grants and tax incentives in the form of cash rebates, tax credit, tax deduction for investments in infrastructure and equipment, as well as return of VAT on expenditure.
• Island Characteristics: a strategically located island with centuries of history, art and culture coupled with a unique combination of mountain and sea sceneries, having excellent connectivity within and outside the country, a pleasant Mediterranean climate, modern infrastructure and advanced telecommunications, in addition to direct access to local talent.
• Business Incentives: offered to businesses wishing to relocate or establish their headquarters in Cyprus.
• Tax Benefits & Incentives: offered to corporates and individuals.
• Intellectual Property (IP) Incentives: including the sought-after IP Tax Box Regime.
The Cyprus Filming Scheme forms part of the Government’s efforts to promote the film industry and the Republic of Cyprus as a filming destination.
This Filming Scheme revolves around a dynamic set of development, financial and tax incentives backed by an annual budget of €25 million until 31 December 2023.
The Grants & Tax Incentivesof the Cyprus Filming Scheme
The grant and tax incentive opportunities of the Cyprus Filming Scheme may be divided into four main categories:
• Cash Rebates of up to 40% of eligible expenditure incurred in Cyprus.
• Tax Credit of up to 50% against the applicant’s taxable income for the tax year within which the production is made.
• Tax Deduction for qualifying investments in cinematographic infrastructure and technological equipment to small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) subject to tax liability in Cyprus of up to 20% and 10% respectively.
• VAT Refund on qualifying production expenditures.
The Qualifying Production Categories of the Cyprus Filming Scheme
Qualifying production categories include:
• Cinematograph films: long firms; and
• Television films (drama), Television series or mini-series: TV films, series, and mini-series, digital and analogue animation, creative documentaries, and reality programmes that promote Cyprus and the Cypriot culture.
The Filming Scheme excludes the following from the list of qualifying production categories:
• any public or special performance organised for filming or other purpose;
• any sporting event;
• TV game shows other than reality programmes;
• current affairs programmes or talk shows;
• educational programmes presenting or explaining hobbies, projects, and so forth; and
• review, magazine- or life-style programmes.
The Services Portfolio of ServPRO
ServPRO is a well-established team of accountants, auditors, advocates and consultants in Cyprus. Our areas of expertise are Accounting & Finance, Advisory & Consulting, Audit & Assurance, Corporate & Legal, Economic Substance and Taxation.
Our team has a stellar track record in delivering practical solutions to corporate and individual clients with a spherical, solution-driven and detail-oriented approach, while demonstrating an aptitude of professionalism, integrity and commercial acumen.
Contact us today to talk more about the Cyprus Film Scheme and the application process.
Copyright © ServPRO Accountants & Consultants 2022, All rights reserved.